Monday, March 19, 2007

Let's Have a Chat Lord

I am really glad to know our smoke alarms in our new house work. I think it is very cool that if one goes off they all go off. I think it is very helpful to know that when they go off we'll sit straight up in bed and have no idea what is going. I think fire drills are important and necessary for a safe evacuation of a home.

However, dear Heavenly Father, I do not appreciate and am very disappointed in your decision to create an impromptu fire alarm drill, throughout our home, at three o'clock in the morning. If you feel you've been getting the silent treatment, I'm sorry, but you are.

I do not enjoy my heart pounding so hard that I fear it will leap from my body. I do not enjoy seeing the terror on my children's faces and tears in their sleepy little eyes. I do not enjoy sneering at my husband feeling certain that his installation of all new smoke alarms the day before is somehow responsible.

Lord, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm is good for me. I'll give you a second option of 4:00 pm to 11:00 pm, after all, I'm not trying to be difficult here. Since I know you have no sense of earthly time, I'll spring for a $4.87 watch from Wal-Mart for you if you could avoid the overnight fire drill in the future.

Sincerely Yours,
Perturbed and Still Shaking

1 comment:

Paul Fagala said...

We had a similar experience with our burglar alarm. Amberlyn kicked off a clipboard which triggered the alarm at about 2:30 one morning. After creeping around the house with a baseball bat and flashlight, I finally found the clipboard on the floor. New rule: NOTHING on your bed when you go to sleep! I didn't sleep much the rest of the night.