Thursday, November 20, 2008

Angels Unaware

A week ago I was in great distress. Will, our 4 yo, really flipped out. His behavior was just awful. Obedience? Non-existent. I was at my wit's end. I didn't want to take him anywhere.

Angel #1 - The lady at church who confessed her second child, a son, blew her mind. She too had a daughter first who gave her no trouble at all. Then, when number two came along, she no longer felt she knew anything about being a parent. This was after church and I started tearing up as she told me about her experience. Bless you, Jill!!

Angel #2 - The man at Barnes and Noble last Tuesday ... Will held the door open for you and you said, "What a nice young man!"

I said, "We're sure trying."

"Looks like you're doing a great job," the man replied.

I felt kind of bad for hoping he left before Will had a chance to throw a fit.

Bless you, Mr. Man.

Angel #3 - A friend who recently asked if she and her husband could come by a visit with us about parenting and homeschooling. They are planning to adopt soon and want to pick our brain ... get tips from the "experts". How amazing does that feel to have someone love your kids enough to think you are a good parent? Bless you, my dear.

As I started writing this, Will got mad because I wouldn't let him have a cookie before he eats his lunch. He is now banished to his room after screaming, a spanking, and kicking at me. I'm trying to focus on the good days and know that this won't last forever. I do grow weary though and feel constantly as if I'm failing William somehow.

1 comment:

Deana Nall said...

All kids are different -- something we had to come to grips with after having Jenna. The year she was two tested my faith like nothing else. Having a wonderfully-behaved child like Julia did NOTHING toward preparing us for a child like Jenna. You aren't failing William; he's just busy becoming his own little person. I know it can be rough, but you and Mark are great parents and I know you'll get through it!