Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Stitch in Time?

Anyone who knows me knows that I have an interest, shall we say, in the Amish culture and way of life. I read fiction and non-fiction books about them. I follow blogs and websites that are devoted to honoring and learning more about their way of life.

I'm also a quilter. Maybe still a baby quilter, since I've only been quilting for a year and a half, but a quilter none-the-less. I love it muchly.

So, it stands to reason that when I happened upon a book entitled "The Amish Circle Quilt" by Rosemary Youngs, I found my own little soul mate of a project to work on!

The book focuses on a group of women who keep a circle letter circulating throughout their small group. At one point they decide to begin enclosing a pattern for a quilt block with each letter based on what is happening in their life at the time of their writing.

There are 121 blocks. No, that's not a typo. 121.

So, back on June 20, I got started. Some blocks I work straight through to complete. Others I have to think about and prepare for. Still others require applique' stitching which I try to save up two or three of before completing.

I plan to blog about each block and include a picture of it as I complete it. I know myself well enough to know that I won't blog every day. Most especially because this time of year we are travelling and camping a lot and I rarely have internet service then.

I might even include my take on the block in a "what it means to me" kind of way. Hope this will be of interest to someone. If not, I will have beautiful, talented grandbabies someday that will find it fascinating. tee hee

Blessings to all!

No comments: