Thursday, June 30, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - "Collecting Eggs"

Block #3 - "Collecting Eggs"

Started on 6-21-11
Completed on 6-23-11

This writer and pattern contributor told her sons collecting eggs from their chickens and only breaking one out of 3 baskets full. I must confess that I sometimes wish we had a couple of chickens to collect fresh eggs from each day. I love eggs. Cooked just about any possible way to boot!

I think it would be good for the kids to have chores like egg collecting or coop clean-up. I don't know that I would want the daily responsibility for forever but I must admit it sounds like a wonderful life.

What do you know about chickens? Are they pretty easy to care for? Do they let you take their eggs? What farm animal would you most like to have? I think I'd have to say a goat or two. Or an Alpaca if it was a contemporary type farm!

Father, may our lives have the peacefulness and earthiness of a farm and may we appreciate your creativeness in the world you've made for us.

Yee haw ... three days in a row!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Lesa, we've had 60 chickens in the last two months that we were trying to raise and the neighbors dog managed to kill all of them. We did 16 at a time and tried all kinds of ways to keep the dog away and none worked. So don't have any labs around. We love going to the sell barns around here. I want a baby pig. We have had lots of horses. Goats smell bad. Becareful with those.