Friday, November 04, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - # 70 - "Fruit Roll"

Block #70 - "Fruit Roll"
Started on 7/13/11
Completed on 8/16/11
Technique: Applique'

So I have to admit that when I saw the name of this block I immediately thought of a fruit roll up. I pictured an Amish mother vigilantly cooking, pureeing, gelling and somehow rolling out a fruit based dough of sorts. Yes, it seems ridiculous now as I type it to share with others, but I thought I was going to learn how the Amish made their own, homemade fruit roll-ups!

How tickled I was to read the letter that went this block explaining what a fruit roll actually was. All of the children take a piece of fruit to school on a particular day and unbeknownst to the teacher roll it to the front of the room as they are getting their lunches out. Moms show up and put it all together in a fruit salad. Is that not one of the coolest things you've ever heard?

Okay, so maybe it is just me but I was intrigued and impressed and well, pleased to learn of this tradition and activity. Too fun.

If we still used one room school houses I would send my kids to school. So I guess that means I need to be Amish if I ever decide to quit homeschooling.

For those few of you who follow me, I am sorry I have been spacey on my posts. There's been a spell this last couple of weeks where I was rushing through my mornings and too exhausted in the evenings to tackle writing at all. I've missed it though and I'll try to get back on track. We are taking a short trip to Salt Lake City in a couple of days so I don't know if I'll blog from there or not.

Father, thank You for the sweetness of life. Thank You for your consistency and your trustworthiness. Thank You for your guidance. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Blessings Y'all!
Lesa
239.2

No comments: