Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - # 73 - "Bathhouse"

Block # 73 - "Bathhouse"
Started on 9/2/11
Completed on 9/3/11
Technique: Applique'

No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. Our road of life has continued to develop bumps and potholes (okay ... sink holes really) and we've been having to take detours and do road repairs. I'm telling ya ... spiritual warfare is afoot for the Brassette family of Colorado.

I haven't worked in my quilt room for forever. Not much hope in sight either seeing as how I lost a week of holiday prep time making an emergency trip down south. You see, almost two weeks ago my step-dad's mom was killed in a car accident. Her funeral was on December 20 so we headed down to Texas to be with family and say goodbye to Grammy. She was such a wonderful person and I will talk about her in this blog entry.

This quilt block is about a bathhouse. That's a topic not too many of us these days can fully relate to. I know I'm thankful for a tub (and toilet) in my house! Actually, we are blessed to have a tub, a shower, and a combination of both, as well as three toilets in our house. I can not imagine having to trek out to a separate building to bathe or potty. I could warm up to bathing in a big tub in the kitchen but that's not my favorite idea either.

Oddly enough I think of Grammy when I think about bathtubs and bathing. She had the most beautiful claw foot tubs in her house. Taking a bath at her house was one of the highlights of visiting her. And she always smelled like she'd just come out of the tub or shower. She smelled so nice. Always.

She had a gift for hospitality. She knew how to treat guests, whether they were family or not they got the royal treatment. Often ironing sheets for the bed and cleaning in such a way as to pass any white glove test she let you know she was glad you were there.

I read in a devotional recently that it was more important that a guest feel the love when they visit you than that they be served a perfect meal in an immaculate setting. Grammy was fantastic at the feel the love part and I will aspire to be that kind of hostess in the future.

When people are visiting, give them your time and attention. Don't get bogged down in keeping the house perfect looking or cooking a seven course meal that keeps you in the kitchen away from your company.

Let yourself off the perfectionistic hook this Holiday season. Enjoy people ... let them leave your home feeling loved, not merely tolerated.

Father, thank You for sharing such a wonderful human being with me. Thank You for her love and for what I learned about love and family from her. Thank You for my bonus Grammy.

Blessings Y'all!
242.4

No comments: