Thursday, December 01, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - # 74 - "Shetland Pony"

Block # 74 - "Shetland Pony"
Started on 7/13/11
Completed on 8/28/11
Technique: Applique'

I love this block. So does my 10 year old horse loving daughter. She couldn't keep her eyes off of it after I finished it and showed it to her.

I have a healthy respect for horses. Trinity has been taking riding lessons for a few years now. She looks so small atop a great big beast. It makes me uneasy but she never wavers. She loves it and she communicates with them quite well. Ms. Barbara, her instructor, says she has a way with them.

While driving through southern Colorado in early August, we sought out one of the Amish communities down there. Imagine my surprise and awe when an Amish man driving a wagon pulled by at least 4 huge horses (I'm thinking Percherons) met us on the road. A few yards behind him came 4 children crowded into a pony cart. I could have sat and watched them forever but I made myself "be cool" and not continue to stare as they passed.

My interest in the Amish stems from a huge amount of respect and a respectable amount of curiosity. If I was ever one of those tourists who offended them or encroached upon their privacy it would break my heart. I guess my interest would naturally be misinterpreted but I would do my best to be respectful.

It is December 1 and I am still not getting into the Christmas spirit. These last few months we've been so beaten down and then to have Grammy pass away so unexpectedly right before Thanksgiving nearly did me in. Thanksgiving is my most favorite time of year. I love the holiday itself but it also kicks off the preparations for Christmas. I missed that time this year and I really feel the damper it has placed on me.

Oh, and to top it off we did away with all but a few channels of our cable service. This means I don't have Hallmark Christmas movies and ABC Family's Countdown to Christmas nor Fa-la-la-la Lifetime. My eyes tear up just typing that. It really makes me sad. Combined with everything else that has gone wrong this year it kind of pushes me over the proverbial edge.

I'm trying hard to get in the spirit of things. I'm going out with my best Colorado friend Nicole tonight and I know that will cheer me up. Tomorrow Mark is taking off work to do our annual Christmas shopping day (which was supposed to be last Monday which is another source of my funk). These two things are bound to kick off the joy of this time of year for me! (And Nicole and I are seeing Breaking Dawn so I'm getting a dose of teenie bopperism. Team Edward all the way!)

Father, I know with all that's in me You have a plan. I know You love me and I know You are present every day. I thank You and praise You for the good in my life. My husband, children, family, friends, and home are such great blessings. Help me cling to the good while the storms rage about.

Teaser: A blog in the near future will details my visit with my cousin Courtney!

Blessings y'all!
241

No comments: