Sunday, November 21, 2004

Food Turkey

It's funny how a simple childhood song can raise all sorts of questions in the mind of a wee one ... or not. I wish I could really probe my 3 1/2 going on 13 year old's brain and figure out exactly what she's thinking on the subject of turkey this week.

The only Thanksgiving song I remember from elementary school goes something like this: "A turkey sat on a back yard fence as he sang a sad, sad tune. Thanksgiving Day is coming gobble gobble gobble gobble and I know I'll be eaten soon. Gobble gobble ... I would like to run away ... Gobble gobble ... I don't like Thanksgiving Day. (Left out some gobbles for the sake of brevity there.)

First question out of her mouth, "Why was the turkey sad?"

I explained it was because we ate turkey on Thanksgiving.

After much thought she piped up with, "Silly turkey!"

I inquired why the sad turkey was silly?

"Because, Mommy, doesn't he know that real turkeys aren't food turkeys ... and that we only eat food turkeys?"

She amazes me with her thought processes. I agreed he was indeed a "silly turkey" and we went on with our singing.

Everyone is always saying/complaining that kids are growing up too fast these days. I don't get the complaint. As parents we are the keepers of the childhood. Other than events beyond our control, we can keep this tragedy from happening! This is a prime example.


I'm sure some experts would have had me sit down and look Trini square in the eye and explain that the only differences between these turkeys were feathers and an oven. Oh yeah, and life. I don't see how pointing this out to my 3 year old would have made her a better human being down the road.

She was happy to have logically worked through what she concluded was the silliness of this song. She's a happy girl and now we won't have to say goodbyes to the turkeys at Old McDonald's Farm the next time we visit. Nor will we have tears and confusion and probably a broken little heart at the dinner table this week! I'm okay with that.

Experts schmexperts ... I'll take my chances with this one. What's the worst that can happen? I'll raise a child with an exceptionally happy childhood? I can live with that. And if I'm wrong, I'll figure it out later! After all, He's still working on me! - Lesa

P.S. This had turned into a rant and rave session about PG movies for kids and the decline in the quality of television programs. Specifically how it relates to the loss of childhood. I've since deleted that from this page and am saving it for another FUN entry! Can't wait huh?

"To avoid stress: Rule #1 - Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2 - It's all small stuff. If you can't fight and you can't flee, flow."
- Robert Eliot

No comments: