Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I Don't Get It

Okay folks, I've held it back long enough. I try very hard not to be hateful or critical of others, I really do. But there is something going on that I just do not get and I can be silent no longer.

In the last month or two I've seen singer Robin Thicke, son to Alan Thicke of "Growing Pains" fame, on at least three occasions as a guest on television shows. Oh my sweet heck! It is said he has chart topping success with his tune "Lost Without You". Say what?

The first time he started singing, I thought it was a comedy sketch I promise. Honest to goodness his voice sounds like someone trying to comically sing high or falsetto-ish. Not quite as nasal a sound as Mr. Bob Dylan but it just isn't right. Seriously, I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out and say, "America, as a nation you've been punk'd!" It has to be some Howard Stern conspiracy to see if the powers that be can get Americans to buy or accept any load of garbage they are told is good and acceptable.

I will say that when he goes into his lower vocal range, where he sounds like an actual normal human man, it isn't half bad. But the one song he keeps singing over and over is all in that ... that ... weird voice.

They say he is one genius of a songwriter. You know what they say about those who can't sing ... yep, they write. Let's leave the vocals to the pros dude.

I'm sorry if you're a fan of his. I'm sorry that this has most likely offended you but mostly I'm sorry that there must be something very wrong with you. You should seek professional help at once.

If you haven't had the pleasure, I'd encourage you to listen to a sample of his vocal stylings at the music download section of walmart.com or the download site of your choice. It's definitely an out-of-this world experience.

In the words of Mr. Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

1 comment:

sarahdawn said...

Agreed. I heard a clip of his on a TV spot the other day and I looked at Easy with confusion as we tried to figure out if it was real or not.