Thursday, May 24, 2007

My "View"

Right about the time we moved, almost 3 months ago, I discovered Rosie O'Donnell one day on the daytime television show "The View". I had always loved her talk show and was thrilled to see her back on the tube.

Although I had seen a snippet or two at my Grandma's house once or twice, I had never once watched this show before Rosie joined the cast. It seemed kind of mindless or gossip-ish to me and I had better things to do with my time. However, I have really grown to enjoy the show! I watch on our DVR every day after my daily devotional while my children are having rest time.

Over the last couple of months I've come to believe that my husband thinks that I think that the four ladies who co-host the show are real, actual friends of mine. He comes home from work and I'm saying things like, "Rosie and Elisabeth argued today." "Joy makes me laugh, she's so funny." "Barbara keeps us all happily together."

I keep waiting for him to say, "Honey, you know they aren't really your friends, right?"

Cut me some slack. We moved almost 3 months ago and I don't have any real friends here yet. These ladies keep me connected with the world outside of my home and I feel like my mind and my perspective have grown because of it.

So, that leads me to the obvious, at least to those of you who are fans of the show. They had it out yesterday. My Rosie ... and that Elisabeth girl. I hate when you see an argument and you understand where the process of communication has broken down but you are outside of the situation and can't do anything but watch, helplessly.

I have to say that I do actually agree with many of Rosie's political views and opinions. I love that she has her own thoughts and isn't afraid to put it all out there. She does get emotional but it is because she so deeply believes in what she has to say.

Elisabeth, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have too many original thoughts of her own. It seems like every word that comes from her mouth is just something she's repeating from one of her little news shows the night before. I also feel like she has a little growing up to do.

I liken her comments to a young adult who has just left home. Perhaps they've been raised in a church going family and we'll say they are rather conservative. Those young adults will often spout beliefs that actually belong to their parents, or sometimes even their church. They don't say these things necessarily because that is their pure opinion on the matter but because that's all they've ever heard or been exposed to and to them that's the way it is.

I feel like Elisabeth can't always see the big picture. I'm not okay with 18 innocent people being arrested with no charges even if it means catching 7 guilty people. I mean, if I was one of the 18 I would be angry and no amount of political rhetoric or polishing over would cool me down. I don't want my phone calls tapped. If I want to talk about personal things to my best friend, then by golly they should be doggone PERSONAL.

I don't mean to start a political debate here amongst the maybe two people who occasionally read my blog. I've just been stewing about this and this is my venting source.

Another thing I find interesting and extremely pathetic, especially from the more conservative, Christian professing souls is how people who want to criticize Rosie don't say, "She's wrong about the President because ..." They don't say, "I disagree with her opinion about gun control because ..." They start screaming about her being fat, loud, or gay. This has to do with her political opinions how? Oh, and those things somehow make her stupid as well. If you're going to disagree folks, let's back it up with some facts and opinions. Smarten up!

Ya know, as much as I disagree with some of Elisabeth's more conservative views, I'm actually open minded enough to see that her being on the show is good and even a necessity. Diversity could not be embraced or displayed if everyone on the show were to think alike. I would maybe like to see an educated, possibly politically involved woman in Elisabeth's place, even if her views were quite the same. I think that would make for great discussions and debates and we can all only benefit from such.

So, now you know. I love my Rosie. I thought it was time I came out. I have many other personality quirks that I'm sure would throw you for a loop but we'll let it rest here for today. Enough to digest I know. Just wanted to share what was going on with my friends, uh-um, I mean my favorite daytime show.

2 comments:

sarahdawn said...

Well, I must say I'm a wee bit surprised. I never would've guessed you were a Rosie fan. As for Elisabeth...I personally think that her frequently naive thoughts and opinons are right on target for the population she represents. The show is pretty well balanced and if there weren't a young, not quite as "educated" person on there, then there would be a HUGE portion of our current society not represented on the show. I actually don't watch unless I happen to be with my mom or Nana, so my opinion here is really quite useless. Dr. Phil is the only talk show I will use my DVR space for - and I delete most of those before I watch them!

Deana Nall said...

I agree SO MUCH about the way people attack Rosie's weight and sexual preference when it's really her views they don't like.

Do you ever see men being attacked this way? I never see people attack Michael Moore's weight when they disagree with his views. This treatment seems limited to women. That bugs me.