Thursday, February 16, 2012

Amish Circle Quilt Project - # 96 - "Lunch Pail"

Block # 96 - "Lunch Pail"
Started on 8/26/11
Completed on 9/3/11
Technique: Applique'

The letter that goes with this block shows the drastic difference between Amish children and "Englisher" children. In the letter the author says that she gave her children new lunch pails for Christmas. And the children were happy about it. Mine might have, well, thrown them at me. As a child I would not have been pleased to get a lunch pail as a Christmas gift. (Unless it had Scooby Doo or some other favorite character of mine on it, which I'm most certain the Amish children's did not include.)

It is really amazing how children in the same day in age can be so different and pleased in such different ways. Even my two children are different as night and day. Granted they are opposite sexes but jeepers they could not be more different.

Trinity is the first born as am I. She thinks like me. Her brain processes things in the same way. However, she has her Daddy's mild, thoughtful, calm demeanor. She took to reading like a fish to water but was slower to catch on to math and science principles. She has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met and is one of my favorite people in the whole world.

William is the second born, like his Daddy, but has ended up being the baby of our family, unlike either of his parents. His intellect is all Mark. He is quizzical and sharp. His personality, however, is most like mine. He is reactive, expressive, and a bit high strung. He gets math and science rather effortlessly but is slower to catch on to reading. He is sensitive and when his quick temper gets the best of him you can tell he feels really bad for misbehaving or hurting someone's feelings. I can't imagine not knowing him. I can't wait to see what kind of man he grows into.

The lunch pail pictured on this block reminds me of the silver, metal one that Poppa used to take to work at the paper mill everyday with his lunch. Granny packed it each morning for him and he brought it home with him in the afternoons. What a cool memory ...

All 12 blocks of my "Be Attitudes" quilt are decoratively stitched. I've got to finish pulling the stabilizer off the back and then they'll be ready to piece together to create the quilt top. So glad I've had a little time to stitch this week.

Blessings Y'all!

1 comment:

Rosemary Youngs said...

I enjoyed reading your post as usual, hope your weekend is wonderful.