Friday, February 24, 2012

Amish Circle Quilt Project - # 98 - "Broken Silo"

Block # 98 - "Broken Silo"
Started on 8/26/11
Completed on 9/3/11
Technique: Applique'

I haven't blogged since Tuesday? Where on earth did this week go? Oh, well, I did have a pretty sick little kiddo most of the week. I took him out for a few errands today but I think it was too much too soon. He's feeling bad again tonight.

The letter that goes with this block talks of a broken silo loader and a candymaking frolic. I can totally relate to the latter but not the former. Don't know nothin' 'bout no silos. Candy, on the other hand, is an old friend of mine.

Grandma May always had candy (usually homemade) around when I'd visit. This was especially true around Christmas. I remember coconut candy and fudge. It seems like peanut brittle too.

I got to make candy often with Mudder and Granny Capps because I spent so much more time with them. Mudder made some kind of candy with fried Chinese noodles covered in chocolate or butterscotch. I remember that the best. Granny made fudge, divinity, peanut brittle, and buckeyes. So I guess candy making is a heritage!

I usually only make candy at Christmas. I'm not sure why that it is. Perhaps I'll have to change that. Anyway, I've added a couple of things of my own to my repertoire but try to keep some of the family heirlooms alive as well. I make my own fudge, cream cheese mints, and Martha Washington candy. I continue to make Granny's Buckeyes and they are one of my family's most highly requested items.

I have my charity quilt over halfway pieced together! Actually, half the top is already assembled in rows, with those rows sewn together. A lot of the blocks for the bottom half are pieced but there is still more left of that to do. I sure would like to be done with this thing so I can take it to church on Sunday. If not, at least by the time the quilters get together on Tuesday.

It isn't lovely. I mean, I have definitely seen uglier quilts. But it wouldn't win a beauty contest if there were such a thing for quilts. However, the stars that pop out here and there give it some uniformity and the craziness of the color explosion gives it some personality. Albeit quirky, it has personality none-the-less. I'll post a picture of the top and let you experience it for yourself. lolol

Blessings Y'all!

No comments: