Friday, August 05, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - Block # 23 - "Nine-Patch Quilt"

Block #23 - "Nine-Patch Quilt"

Started on 7/8/11
Completed on 7/8/11

Technique: Piecing

The author of the letter that goes with this block talks of two things I'd like to discuss.

First of all, she mentions family get togethers and how at them they have a singing. This brings back so many good family memories for me since my family often did the same thing when we got together. For that matter, we still do when we have the chance.

I was raised in the Church of Christ which uses only a'cappella music for their worship. A large portion of my mother's family is part of the same church so when we were all together we would sing and sing and sing ... and then sing some more. 4 part harmonies with your grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins around gave you a glimpse of what Heaven might be like. I know now what a great gift that was and how special those times were.

The other thing that caught my attention was the hand piecing of quilt blocks together. While I have a healthy appreciation for those who have the patience, talent and time to piece by hand (and quilt by hand for that matter) I don't know that I would quilt much if I didn't have a machine to do most of the stitches.

When I initially took quilting classes I included a hand quilting class. I enjoyed learning the techniques and I could do it if I had to. I've done very little of the hand quilting though and grow tired of how long it takes to complete a project that way.

Today is my 16th wedding anniversary so if you'll indulge me, my prayer today will be related to that rather than my quilting.

Heavenly Father, I thank You for the gentle man that shares my life. I thank You for the marriage of our hearts and souls that You continually bless and nourish. Thank You for loving me enough to design such a perfect match for me and for giving us the 16 years together we've had so far.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Rosemary Youngs said...

Happy 16th wedding anniversary, may God bless you with many more.