Friday, August 12, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - Block #27 - "Ice Harvesting"

Block #27 - "Ice Harvesting"

Started on 7/10/11
Completed on 7/10/11

Technique: Piecing

I will most likely redo this block. The part that looks tan actually looked gray when I bought it. But up next to the blues it looks way off. It looks more tan in person than it does in the picture.

Harvesting ice blocks to fill your icehouse is a concept that could not possibly be more foreign to me. Growing up in Texas we never had ice that could be harvested. Plus, in my lifetime, I've always lived in a home that had a refrigerator and freezer in it.

I am intrigued with the show Sister Wives on TLC. The large family on there went ice blocking, at least I think that's what they called it. I'd never heard of it before. They bought huge blocks of ice and would sit on them and slide down hills as if they were sledding. Interesting I thought.

Father, thank You for refrigerators. Thank You for electricity. Thank You that we can store food to keep it from spoiling. We are far more blessed than a large portion of the world.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Rosemary Youngs said...

I imagine there are a lot of people that would love to go ice harvesting with such warm weather we have been having. I think your block is beautiful, I would not redo your block.
never have been ice harvesting but wouldn't mind seeing how that is done some day :)