Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - # 68 - "Maple Syrup"

Block #68 - "Maple Syrup"
Started on 7/13/11
Completed on 8/16/11
Technique: Applique'

I can enjoy maple syrup with the best of them. I've never tapped a maple tree before nor have I seen it done but I think it would be an interesting process to observe. I'll have to add that to list of things I must see and do before I die.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes back in 2005 or 2006. (I forget the exact timing because I was in complete and total denial about it at the time.) I've managed it decently I think. I take oral medications but no insulin so far. I think my highest fasting glucose level ever was 140 or so. It isn't a horrible case but I try to make good decisions.

That actually does relate to my post here on maple syrup. In the last 5 years or so, I've become rather sensitive to sugar. I gave up soft drinks altogether. Even Diet Coke didn't taste right and regular soft drinks were nastily too sweet for me.

I can't do cereal in the morning now either. If I get one very low in sugar I can force it down but otherwise they are way too sweet for me and I get a tummy ache mid-morning. If I don't get protein in me pretty soon after waking, I get a tummy ache and feel completely wretched.

So maple syrup ... Once every so often I will indulge in IHOP pancakes with maple syrup. However, I usually don't eat a whole short stack and I mask the effects with a meat filled omelet. I don't waste my calories or carbs on any pancakes other than IHOP.

Mark and I have been working on getting healthier. He's succeeding. I'm doing okay but it is more frustrating than one can imagine at how much easier it seems to come for him. If I dwell on it too long I could probably turn that into an excuse, somehow, to give up. But, I'm smarter than that. So, I persevere!

I suppose if I would rise before dawn and work hard all day in the garden and washroom and on the farm I wouldn't have a nibbling problem. But that is not my life and I will strive to fill myself with God's Word rather than food that my body isn't in need of.

Father, thank You for the abundance of love I'm surrounded with and for the opportunities you've given me in this life. And I give You much praise and thanks for the progress Courtney is making in her recovery. You are sovereign and there is no one better to trust with my life!

Blessings Y'all!
241.8

No comments: