Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - Block # 58 - "Christmas Cookies"

Block # 58 - "Christmas Cookies"
Started on 7/13/11
Completed on 8/15/11
Technique: Applique'

The author of this letter writes of children getting together to make sugar cookies. I would love to have all 11 of my nieces and nephews here making and decorating Christmas cookies. My kids and I make them every year. Funny how we only tend to make them at Christmas.

I love being with my kids in the kitchen. They ask questions and we talk about so many different things. Often we talk of where the recipes came from and I get to share memories from when I was their age. We've been doing it long enough that they now have their own memories to share!

I used to teach cake decorating at Hobby Lobby. I also taught several project classes for gingerbread houses, cookie bouquets, and more. It isn't as big a thrill to me these days to spend so much time and effort creating a work of art to be eaten. I'll still do it for my family and enjoy the challenge that brings. Cake decorating plays second fiddle to quilting now.

So anyway, I can totally appreciate the fun of cookie baking and decorating, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yummy they are, but the fun and making of memories outweighs the culinary value hands down!

Father, thank You for the "sweet" moments You give us. Thank You for knowing just what we need before we know it ourselves.

Blessings Y'all!

P.S. For those of you who follow my blog, you'll remember a few weeks ago I had a frustrating visit to get a Mammogram, which didn't happen. Well finally, today, I got back in. After way too many image views and angles, and ultrasound imaging on both lumps, I got very good news. One lump looks like a large lymph node (close to my arm pit) and the other is most likely scar tissue from the biopsy I had a year and a half ago. Praise God!

1 comment:

Rosemary Youngs said...

Praise God for the great news!!!