Sunday, October 02, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - #56 - "Gasoline Lamp"

Block #56 - "Gasoline Lamp"
Started on 7/8/11
Completed on 7/14/11
Technique: Applique'

The author of the letter that goes with this block talks of writing her letter by the light of a gasoline lamp. The letter was dated November 20 so her time of the year was close to mine. As I sit typing this blog on my laptop, powered by electricity, by the light of the track lights above my fireplace, I can picture her quite clearly.

It is a romantic notion to me; sitting in darkened room with only the light of a lamp to prevent the shadows from overtaking me. As I put my thoughts down on paper with an actual pen, I would feel the release of emotions and the satisfaction of sharing my life with loved ones and cherished friends.

On a side note: I've always loved the act, perhaps even the art, of handwriting. As a teenager and young married woman I was the bestest pen pal you could have ever wished for. I'm slowly getting back into writing with my daily devotionals and sending cards and notes. I hope and pray it blesses the recipients even a fraction of how it blesses me to do it. And I know someday, Lord willing, I will find an Amish woman who will exchange letters with me, a long time dream of mine.

Back to the subject at hand ... Without electricity, the days would end far too soon (for me). The setting of the sun would be the conclusion of projects be they for fun or utility. Lamps would be a bare necessity for me and my night owl ways!

While riding on this train of thought, it is significant to acknowledge that Jesus was called the Light of the World. As much help as a single lamp would be to illuminate a darkened room, I'm not sure we can fathom what the potential for the light of Jesus is for this old world of ours. His love heals my heart. His promises give me hope. His light illuminates the darkest days of my life.

How can even begin to discuss this without sharing one of my favorite spiritual songs?

Shine, Jesus, Shine
by Graham Kendrick (w. 1988)

"Lord, the light of Your love is shining
In the midst of the darkness, shining
Jesus, Light of the world, shine upon us,
Set us free by the truth You now bring us:
Shine on me.

Lord, I come to Your awesome presence,
From the shadows into Your radiance,
By the blood I may enter Your brightness,
Search me,
Try me,
Consume all my darkness:
Shine on me.

Shine, Jesus, shine,
Fill this land with the Father's glory.
Blaze, Spirit, blaze,
Set our hearts on fire.
Flow, river, flow,
Flood the nations with grace and mercy.
Send forth Your Word,
Lord, and let there be light!!!!!!!!"

Father God, let my life reflect Your love and goodness. Let my life reflect your Light. Let me be Your hands, Your feet, personified in our troubled world. I bless Your name!

Blessings!

No comments: