Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - Block # 59 - "Sunshine and Shadow"


Block # 59 - "Sunshine and Shadow"
Started on 8/16/11
Completed on 8/16/11
Technique: Pieced

Arriving at this block was sort of like reuniting with an old friend. I've made two Amish style Sunshine and Shadow quilts. I absolutely love this pattern. The thought behind it and what it represents make it incredibly meaningful to me.

One of the two Sunshine and Shadow quilts I made went to my little sugar dumpling, Logan. He is the son of my dear friend Corren (and hubby James). I decided that when I make and gift these quilts, I wanted to express to the recipient somehow exactly what these quilts mean. While I may not be Amish, and my understanding is in no way complete, I feel like I have a decent grasp on it! So, I wrote a poem to go with my gifts. Yep, I occasionally write poetry too!


Sunshine and Shadow

By Lesa May Brassette


May sunshine and shadow fill each of your days

May your prayers be full of thanksgiving and praise.


May the days of sunshine be many and bright

May you glorify Him as you walk in His light.


May the days of shadow be present but few

In times of shadow let His love carry you.

For without the shadows; with only sunshine

The splendor of light would fade over time.


To value the sunshine the shadows must fall

Cling to the Savior, our Lord through it all.

May goodness and mercy and joy follow you

During laughter and tears may His love see you through.


Sunshine and shadow both sent from above

A reminder, always, of God’s unfailing love.


(The Amish make this quilt for babies and as wedding gifts. They pray for both sunshine and shadow in life. They value both as God’s will. I share their blessing with you and pray God’s love in your life now and always.)


Logan's Sunshine and Shadow Quilt:



My very first Sunshine and Shadow Quilt:

Father, I don't know if I'm far enough along in my journey to say thank You for the shadows. I acknowledge they help us grow. I acknowledge You create good from them. I certainly trust You and I certainly find peace in knowing You are my head cheerleader.

Blessings Y'all!

1 comment:

Rosemary Youngs said...

Love your post and the poetry!