Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - #16 - "Apple Orchards"

Block # 16 - "Apple Orchards"

Started on 6/27/11
Completed on 6/27/11

Technique: Applique'

The writer of this letter and designer of this block talks of apple orchards. I love apples. For someone who in general is not a plant eater, I do really love apples.

As each of my kids went through Kindergarten (at home) we would get to their a-a-apple unit. We loved it. We would buy one of every kind of apple we could find and have a taste party. I learned as much as they did about apples and their uses and flavors. I discovered I loved Fuji and Gala apples.

At the end of the unit we'd bake an apple pie together. When I went through this unit with Trinity I had never baked an apple pie (or any fruit pie) before. So I had to find us a recipe which I did on-line. Gotta love the world wide web. The recipe below is what we made. I bought ready made pie crusts, one rolled and one already in a pan. We used Granny Smith apples. I'm sharing it in case reading about apples gives you a hankering to bake a pie.

Apple Pie
INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 cups thinly sliced apples
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Prepare your pastry for a two crust pie. Wipe, quarter, core, peel, and slice apples; measure to 6 cups.
  2. Combine sugar and cinnamon. The amount of sugar used depends on how tart your apples are.
  3. Arrange apples in layers in pastry lined pie plate. Sprinkle each layer with sugar and cinnamon. Dot top layer with small pieces of butter or margarine. Cover with top crust.
  4. Place on lowest rack in oven preheated to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer. Serve warm or cold.

Father, thank You for apples! Thank You for the variety and even the beauty they give us. Thank You for knowing what we would love!

Blessings!

No comments: