Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - "Pineapple"

Block #11 - "Pineapple Quilt"

Started on 6/24/11
Completed on 6/24/11

Technique: Paper Piecing

This was my first attempt at paper piecing and I am thrilled with the results. It was fun and I ended up with a nice, tight, design. I used greens because that said pineapple to me more than the red that's pictured.

In this letter the writer talks about her relatives finishing a pineapple quilt at their reunion. I haven't been to a family reunion in more years than I can count. There was a great one back in 1998 or so that my Aunt Ilee hosted at her place. It was so wonderful to see my mom's cousins and their kids, most of whom I grew up with.

I also made it to Heiberger, AL, in 2000 (I think), for a reunion on my Daddy's side of the family. I met some relatives there for the first time and saw several I hadn't seen since a trip there in 1983 or 84.

It is important for kids to know where they come from; to look into faces and see eyes and noses that match theirs. It is important for them to witness family traditions and see similarities between themselves and others that share more than DNA. Love covers a multitude of shortcomings, but if these opportunities are available, they should be taken advantage of. I wish I lived close enough to do just that!

Father, thank you for our families and the way they shape us into who we are.

Blessings!


1 comment:

Rosemary Youngs said...

I love how your blocks are coming along, also love reading your posts. It will be such a treasure for your family when it is finished.