Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - Block # 48 - "Vegetable Garden"

Block # 48 - "Vegetable Garden"
Started on 7/8/11
Completed on 7/13/11
Technique: Applique'

The writer of the letter that goes with this quilt block talks about how well her vegetable garden produced this year and how full their basement is with the produce. They are all set for winter and even had plenty to share.

In this synopsis, there are two things that would be unlikely to occur in my home. A vegetable garden and use of the basement. (This project is making me all too aware of my many weirdnesses.)

I have a healthy respect for gardens and plants in general. They add beauty to our world and the very important element of Oxygen that I appreciate greatly. Plants feed a huge portion of humans and animals so they are great living things overall. However, I am so bad with plants. I like to say it goes beyond a brown thumb ... mine is black. I have a hard time keeping plants alive.

And now let's talk about basements. I don't like rooms underground. I don't like spaces underground. When we moved to Grand Junction we looked at several homes that had a basement level and as soon as we'd start down the stairs to descend into the unknown, I'd get that sinking feeling in my tummy and totally write that house off. Our home now has a crawl space and I avoid it like the plague. I told my dear hubby he could store things down there but I would not be retrieving them. Ever.

Father, thank You for people who tend your plants and gardens. Thank You for creating such a variety of people that can take care of so many things in our lives.

Blessings!

No comments: