Sunday, September 18, 2011

Amish Circle Quilt Project - Block #50 - "Missing Cows"

Block # 50 - "Missing Cows"
Started on 7/8/11
Completed on 8/4/11
Technique: Applique'
Blocks Completed to Date:
105 of 121

I have one story about a cow but I'm not sure how appropriate it is. Oh, isn't that a great way to reach out, grab you, and reel you in. So, when I finally made my way to college in 1996, I decided to study Animal Science because I aspired to be a Veterinarian and that was the best way to start at the time. This was, especially at the University of Arkansas at Monticello, a highly agriculture oriented course of study.

As it turned out one of the hands-on events for the main Animal Science class was to palpate cows to determine if they were pregnant or not. Basically you put on a plastic glove that goes up to your shoulder and IN YOU GO. If you need more details, feel free to ask. It isn't for the faint of heart but it was an awesome experience in its own weird way.

One of the next "lab" days was a visit to a butcher shop and that's when I dropped out of college.

The other somewhat related story involves a yak. Yes, an official Mongolian Yak. His name is Yuki and he lives on a Yak ranch just north of Ouray, CO. We took our Girl Scout troop there in August at the end of a camping trip at Ridgway State Park. All was going well until Yuki nudged one of our adult chaperones and accidentally impaled her with his horn on her backside. We had to take her to the ER and she ended up with about 4 stitches and an unbelievable story. Many of us have fish tales ... she had a yak attack tale.

It was not an act of aggression. We liken it to a cat rubbing against your leg wanting you to pet it. He was lookin' for lovin' ... and it just went terribly wrong. He was as surprised to have a human stuck on his horn as she was to have a yak where she had a yak.

That was just one of the unfortunate events that has plagued our family this summer. I got up last weekend wanting to put my Christmas tree up. I guess it was more wanting to put this awful summer behind us than anything else.

Father, thank You for all of the opportunities you've given me in my life. Thank You for wanting good things for me and for getting me through the last couple of months.

Blessings!

No comments: