Friday, April 19, 2013

Amish Circle Quilt Block #111 - Teacher's Bar Quilt

Block # 111 - 
"Teacher's Bar Quilt"

Started on: 10-14-11
Completed on: 10-14-11

Technique: Piecing

   When I was little I always dreamed of being a teacher.  It's funny how even then I had a desire in me to teach.  Or maybe it was a desire to be bossy.

   We moved into a mobile home in 1979 when my mom married my step-dad.  It was brand new and my room had it's own bathroom.  One whole wall of my room had a counter across it.  For a child who wanted to be a teacher, this was a dream come true.  I would put papers out in a line and write answers on them for tests for pretend students.  Then, the most joyous part ... I got to grade all of those tests!

   When babies arrived, they ended up making the best students.  Any academic success Kara achieved is all because of me.  Keli wasn't as into being a pretend student ... and I was never with Melissa long enough to get to "teach" her.

   Fast forward a few years ... or a decade ... after Mark and I got together I had decided I wanted to be a Veterinarian.  After a couple of semesters of college, all I wanted to be was a stay at home mom ... even though we didn't have children quite yet.

   Fast forward a few more years and it was getting close to time to register Trinity for Kindergarten and for me, it just did not feel right.  Luckily I was married to a man who didn't faint from shock when I mentioned the word (or words) home-school.

   And so, here she is about to finish 6th grade ... and we're still homeschooling.  And we even added a second pupil to the mix when Will reached school age.  And in some ways life for me has come full circle.  My childhood dream of being a teacher is now my blessed reality.

   And I feel God's hand every step of the way.  When I'm able to communicate with one of the kids regarding a subject or concept they don't understand, I know how lucky we are.  I mean, who knows them better than their Momma?

Blessings y'all!
Lesa

No comments: