Well, I have to tell you that I am most pleased with the progress I have made so far. I guess when you are following in the footsteps of Dear Jane pioneers, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. You can accept their suggestions for how to piece these blocks together.
I found unexpected time today to stitch so I was able to complete three more blocks and get another ready to hand applique'.
Below, Block A-5 - "Cathie's Campfire" - I made it by paper piecing!
Below, Block A-6 - "Uncle Homer" -
Uncle Homer here was assembled as the simple nine-patch he is!
Block A-7 is assembled but it is awaiting hand applique' stitching.
Below, Block A-8 - "Florence Nightingale" -
I paper pieced Florence. I am loving the chocolate color with the cream!
Part of preparing for this "journey" included buying two large (1 1/2" capacity), three ring binders and a booty load of page protectors. I already had alphabetically tabbed dividers so I used A through M to make one section per row of the quilt. I am making address labels as I complete the blocks with the block ID and name on them. I'm storing the blocks in the page protectors to make them easy to reference and to keep them organized during the building process.
Well on my way on my Jane Journey!
Lesa-Jane, 6 blocks, 0 triangles, 139 pieces